Foxtail Millet Upma
- 1 cup Foxtail Millet , washed
- 1 Onion , finely chopped
- 1 inch Ginger , finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup Carrot finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Green beans finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp White Urad Dal
- 2 sprig Curry leaves , chopped
- 1 tsp Ghee
- Salt , to taste
- 2 cups Water
- 1 Lemon , juice
- 2 tablespoons Coriander Leaves , chopped
- To begin making the Foxtail Millet Upma Recipe, into a preheated pressure cooker add 1 tablespoon ghee. Once the ghee is hot add mustard seeds and split urad dal. Saute on medium heat till the dal turns golden brown in colour.
- Once the dal has turned golden in colour add the onions, ginger and saute till the onions turn soft and light golden brown in colour.
- After the onions are done add the carrots, green beans, drained foxtail millet, turmeric powder, salt to taste, torn curry leaves and 2 cups of water.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and pressure cook the foxtail millet for 3 to 4 minutes.
- After 3-4 whistles turn off the heat and allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Open the pressure cooker after the pressure has released.Once u open the pressure cooker add 1 tablespoon of ghee,juice from one lemon and stir in the coriander leaves. Stir well to combine.
- Transfer the Foxtail Millet Upma into a serving bowl or plate and serve hot as foxtail millet upma tends to dry up when kept over time.